The first time I attempted butter cake was two years ago. It was also the time my first hand mixer broke. (yes, it is possible) What happened was this; instead of looking for a basic butter cake recipe, I tried to be creative and used a banana butter cake recipe – without the bananas. Yes, I see the problem now and no, I don’t deserve to be in the kitchen.
Being an absolute rookie in this department, I am definitely getting the hang of things now. My parents love butter cake, so it calls without reason to attempt the plain old simple butter cake recipe. I use a basic butter cake recipe, adapted from Rasa Malaysia. It calls for the basic baking ingredients; sugar, flour, butter, eggs. I reduced the sugar by 20%.
I’ve tried to bake butter cake three times now, each time a little different from the other. The first is the basic butter cake to ensure that the recipe works (it does), and then, I tried frosting. Still looking for the perfect frosting technique, but this will do for now.
Here’s a picture of my dad’s birthday cake! If you spot a 1 in the background, it’s because my dad is NUMBER ONE! And behind every successful man, there is a woman.. and a son, and an annoying brat, hehe.
Basic Butter Cake Recipe
Note: The buttercream icing was far too sweet to our liking, so until I find the ingredient for the perfect frosting, here’s a recipe for a plain butter cake.
- 2 and 1/3 stick (250g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 200 g plain flour/all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200 g castor sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 60 g fresh milk
- 5 g (1 tsp) vanilla essence
- Prepare all ingredients and placed them in separate bowls.
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 160’C (fan oven)
- Mix the flour and the baking powder together and sieve. Add in salt and mix well. Set aside.
- Use an electronic beater to mix butter and sugar until well combined or pale yellow in color.
- Add in the first egg. Beat well after each addition of egg until creamy.
- Scrape down the sides for even mixing.
- Add in vanilla essence and mix well.
- Fold in the flour into the mixture and mix well.
- Finally, add in the milk.
- Pour the mixture into the greased baking pan. Shake it lightly to distribute cake mixture evenly.
- Bake until golden brown and cooked, about 40 minutes. Use a cake tester to test if it’s cooked.
- Remove it from the oven and let cool on the wire rack for another 5 minutes. Serve warm.